Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Try these recipes!

Today is day 3 on the Daniel fast and while I haven’t consecrated to the spiritual part like I have intended to (honesty, here), I have been faithful in abstaining from the forbidden foods (eating like Daniel did). It hasn’t been too hard, but you know how things go on day three.

january 17 002I’ve learned as long as I can snack on something when I’m feeling hungry or drink a big glass of water, I’m feeling pretty good about things.

january 17 005 Breakfast here consists of a smoothie, made from frozen strawberries, Unsweetened Almond milk, a bit of 100% Organic Apple Juice, bananas, flax seed, oatmeal, and a few peaches. It’s good and really satisfying. It’s no grits, eggs, bacon, and biscuits, but I’m denying myself here, right? :)

january 17 008 Lunch has been rice cakes with natural peanut butter, sliced bananas, and raisins on top. I usually eat 2 of these. Yesterday my mom was here and when she comes by she always gives me some money to go get us some lunch from town (gotta love moms). I went by our local grocery deli and I admit, the golden fried chicken livers were a temptation! I’m sure my arteries thank me for resisting. Anyway, Em and I got a vegetable plate. Poor Em was quite dismayed because he really wanted his brother’s leftover teriyaki chicken. He said he was quitting the fast today. :) I don’t think he’s getting his spiritual help. :)

january 17 009

For supper, Monday night, I fixed Veggie Sketti (my name for it). It is really simple. Boil some brown rice noodles (you can use 100% whole grain noodles for this diet). In another skillet, in a bit of olive oil—sauté tomatoes (I used some I had put up this summer), cut up zucchini (1), diced onions, and season to taste. I like using salt and Mrs. Dash’s seasonings (no sugar or MSG). After the pasta is drained, mix it in with the veggies. We cleaned up the bowl.

january 17 006

Even Ella enjoyed a bit (I did notice quite a few zucchini pieces left, tho)

january 17 007 Last night we had peas and potato salad w/veganaise, corn on the cob, and fish for the 2 littles. The Potato Salad was a hit!

4 Medium Potatoes (you might want to do more if your entire family of 6 eats potato salad), cut up and boiled in water until just soft (not mushy). Make sure the potatoes are salted.

In a bowl, mix 1/2 cup veganaise (this stuff is better than mayo to me), 1 tp curry powder, 1/3 cup chopped red onion, 1/3 cup chopped celery, 1 tp dill weed, and I even threw in a few cilantro sprigs (we love that stuff).

After the potatoes are drained, mix the Veganaise mixture in with the potatoes.

Very, very good.

*You can find Veganaise at your health food store or grocer, or on Amazon.

Just a few recipes I thought I would share with you. I know I am always looking for healthy alternatives or suggestions!

Hope you truly have a blessed day full of God’s love!

4 comments:

  1. The Daniel Fast sounds really healthy! Thanks for the Veggie Sketti idea... we are trying to eat according to our blood types (for health/allergy reasons) and my poor meat-loving husband is supposed to cut out ALL RED MEAT!!! I don't see that being completely feasible, but he is trying to cut back. I'll have to try your veggie sketti on him. :)

    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristy,
    This diet is gluten free so you are welcomed to try the recipes! Poor hubby, refraining from meat is so hard on those men folk! :)
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. just found your great blog, love the healthy recipes!

    God bless~

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed reading the healthy recipes. It is nice that they are all gluten free, too!! Blessings, Rose

    ReplyDelete

I love and welcome your comments. Please be nice.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails