Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Tuxedo Brownie Muffins

Around here, we like to have muffins about once/week. Just the other day, my 3yo asked, “Mom, why do we have muffins every time”? :) I usually vary between the standard blueberry muffin, banana muffins, or occasionally, oatmeal muffins (from leftover oatmeal). Today, I was desiring something a bit more chocolate. Here is what I came up with (with a little help from a recipe book..I tweaked it quite a bit):


Topping:


8 oz. cream cheese, softened


1/4 cup sugar


2 tps AP flour, preferably unbleached


2 egg whites


1/2 cup mini choc chips (opt) I didn’t have these, but the original recipe called for it


Muffins:


1 cup AP flour


1 cup Sugar


1/2 cup Whole Wheat flour (I did 1 cup WW and 1/2 cup AP and it was good)


1/3 cup unsweetened Cocoa powder (I used raw Carob powder)


2 tps baking powder


1/4 tp salt


3/4 cup milk


1/4 cup oil


2 eggs


1/4 cup chopped nuts, opt.


TOPPING: With a mixer, mix the cream cheese, sugar, and flour in a bowl. Add the egg whites and beat until blended. Fold in the opt. chocolate chips.


MUFFINS: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly coat 12 muffin cups with nonstick spray. In a large bowl, combine the flours, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, and salt. Make a well in the center of the mixture. In a small bowl, whisk together the milk, oil, and eggs. Pour into the well in the flour mixture. Stir until just moistened. Fold in the nuts, if desired.


Pour into the muffin tins, about 3/4 full. Top each muffin with about 1 tablespoon of the cream-cheese mixture. Bake for 20 to 22 minutes, or until cream cheese begins to turn golden. Cool for 5 minutes and then serve!


These were really good to us and the cream cheese mixture was the bomb on the top. It wasn’t too terribly unhealthy, considering none of the ingredients were artificial. I use fresh eggs and fresh milk and that is and added bonus to our health! :)


Do you like muffins around your place? I would love to hear your favorite muffin recipe. Perhaps you have it in an older post that you could give the link to me or a link to a website with it. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love and welcome your comments. Please be nice.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails