Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Getting bk on board...

I hope you, dear readers, are having a great week! Yesterday was one of those insanely busy days where it still didn't look like I had done anything until about 5:00. :) I'm still spending a great deal on time on the couch nursing the new one. The good part is I get lotsa computer time without guilt (that is, if I've already read my Bible for the day)! :) The baby is sure growing, looking sooo sweet and today she is 4 wks old. We are doing well and by the end of the day, I'm actually still sane! :) I know the Lord helps me and gives me so much strength. I'm thankful. School is still really light right now..in fact I just ordered a new Spelling book and have yet to do Science (the book I want to order is so expensive). However, we are faithfully doing Math, Reading, Language, and History. We avg about 4 days a wk and that works for us right now.
Anyway...since my husband has been on the Daniel Fast, we have been eating a lot healthier than we were before. Since groceries have gotten more expensive, it was so easy to get the off brand, non organic, or a cheaper, less quality product..especially since we are on a grocery budget. I even *gasp* have gotten unhealthy cereal a time or two. We are still drinking our raw goat milk (that we get free fr my wonderful parents) and eating fresh, yard eggs, and haven't yet resorted to buying Lil Debbies (even tho I love me some snack cakes) or white bread. We are still taking our Juice Plus (fruits & vegs in a capsule) and occasional Barley Green (too busy to find links for these products..nak).
I have been motivated to get bk on the old health wagon. After grocery shopping, I am happy to report my shelves and frig has been stocked with organic foods, wheat flour, natural PB, frozen fruits for smoothies, etc. I'm also happy to report I bought no meat and no cheese...and no cheese is a BIG deal for us!! I only spent $30 over the budget (ugh, I hate that) and have healthy foods for us to enjoy.
So, the plan is no meat except maybe once a week and that will be something from our freezer or when we go to someone else's house. No animal products, no canned foods with preservatives, nothing with added sugar (I will be using honey and Agave Nectar and trying to wean myself off of sweet tea...yum), no MSG (which is in virtually everything now...canned soups, gravy packets, seasoning packets, chips, etc), and no white flour. We will basically be eating like my parents have done for about 10 yrs now.
How are my kids doing with this? My son is totally on board, asking if everything we set before him is an animal product. :) Now my 4 yr old daughter is starting to ask, "Is this healthy?" :)
Last night, I fixed a yummy meal and here are the recipes:
Pinto Beans (recipe fr http://www.mothering.com)
3 to 4 cups of pinto beans
2 to 3 onions, cut in crescent shapes
3 to 5 chopped garlic cloves
1 can tomato sauce (u can get org tomato sauce)
Salt and pepper to taste
Optional additions:Green peppers, Jalapeno peppers, Green chilis, Celery, Ground beef (I used green peppers and added a lil Agave Nectar to mine and the kids'--tasted like Baked Beans w/o the thick syrupiness)
Rinse well 3 to 4 cups of pinto beans. Soak overnight. Drain and rinse again in the morning. Fill a pan with enough fresh water to cover the beans. Cover pan and bring water in pot to a boil. Turn down to a simmer immediately. Simmer beans for 3 to 5 hours. Stir often. During the last 2 hours, add the onions and garlic. One half hour before serving, add 1 can tomato sauce. Add salt and pepper to taste.

RECIPE INGREDIENTS: 3 large baking potatoes 1 tablespoon of garlic pwd 2 tablespoons of EVO oil 1 tespoon salt 1 tablespoon Italian seasonings 1. Heat the oven to 450­ degrees. 2. Cut potatoes into 1/4 inch thick matchsticks. 3. Combine all the ingredients in a gallon ziploc bag, add potatoes, shake to coat. 4. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray and spread the potatoes on it in a single layer. 5. Bake them until they are golden and crisp, about 35 minutes, flipping them halfway through.
Makes 6 servings.
This was a healthy, hearty, supper!
Well, it's almost 12pm and I haven't done the first chore yet! I have picked a few green beans fr the garden (not getting many now) and put up a few pears. Lots more to do today!! The kids are running through the house like they haven't gotten any raisin' but it's so dreary out, I'm just letting them run. :p At least until someone gets hurt.....
As for now, I'm going to finish loving on my sweet, beautiful bundle and eat my breakfast that has been sitting on the table since breakfast! :p
Have a good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love and welcome your comments. Please be nice.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails